Reviving Biblical Greek The Agora
  The Greek Piazza               
  FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile UsergroupsUsergroups CalendarCalendar
 REGISTERREGISTER  Log inLog in Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages

Chapter 20 homework
Page 1 of 1   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    THE AGORA Forum Home -> Machen Exercises
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenR
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Chapter 20 homework Reply with quote

As before, here is my attempt at the odd numbered exercises in chapter 20.

1. After the ruler had come to the Lord, the servants spoke these things to the disciples.

3. After you had believed in the Lord, immediately the ruler also believed.

5. After he had been cast out of the synagogue, the rulers were gathered together.

7. After the Holy Spirit had said these things, the disciples proclaimed the word of God.

9. After these signs had been received from the Lord, we immediately spoke the mysteries that are in the Scriptures to the others.

11. After they had been thrown into prison on account of the preaching of the gospel to them by the apostles, they cried out there to the one who had saved them.

13. You welcomed those who had been cast out of the synagogue and the women who had welcomed them into their houses.

15. This is the wisdom of God which was proclaimed in the world by those who have seen the Lord.

17. After we had been pursued by the soldiers, the ones who were in the house welcomed us.

19. I spoke these things to them while they were bringing the children to the Lord, and to those who had been brought.

21. I said these things to you while you were still with me.

I will have a stab at the composition exercise in a day or so.

Stephen
stephenR
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is my attempt at the composition exercises, odd numbers p.171

1. labovntwn tw:n stratiwtw:n ta; iJmavtia tw:n paidivwn oiJ maqhvtai ejxeblhvqhn ejk th;V oijkivaV.
Genitive absolute in the first clause.

3. ejrcomevnwn eijV th;n oijkivan hJmw:n tau:ta ei[pen oJ kuvrioV toi:V a[rcousi.
Another genitive absolute

5. oiJ ajkouvsanteV to;n ajpovstolon tau:ta legovnta ei\don to;n oi[kon to;n luqevnta uJpov tw:n stratiwtw:n.
several participles, none of them absolute!

7. diwkomevnwn tw:n maqhtw:n uJpo; tw:n ajrcovntwn h[rconto oiJ ajpovstoloi eijV a[llhn oijkivan.

9. gravyenta ta; ojnovmata hJmw:n ejn tw/: biblivw/ th;V zwhvV, oyovmeqa to;n kuvrion.
Note sequence of tenses: aorist passive participle in the subordinate clause, future deponent in the main clause.

11. ou{toi eijsi;n oiJ a[rconteV genovmenoi maqhvtai sou.
Note that the progressive and aorist participles of ginomai differ by only one letter.

13. ejkeinw:n tw:n blhqeisw:n eijV th;n fulakh;n ajphvlqomen eijV th;n e[rhmon.
We don't use feminine aorist participles very often, do we?

15. ajgagovntwn tw:n maqhtw:n pro;V to;n kuvrion tou;V diwcqevntaV dia; aujto;n ejkei:noi oiJ dou:loi proshvlqon pro;V hJmi:n fevronteV ta; dw:ra ta; ajgaqav.

Any suggestions or corrections would be most welcome.

Stephen
stephenR
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9. gravyenta ta; ojnovmata hJmw:n ejn tw/: biblivw/ th;V zwhvV, oyovmeqa to;n kuvrion.
Whoooops! It should be aorist passive participle, not progressive, and it should be genitive absolute as well, since the subject of teh first clause is 'names' which does not appear in the main clause.
I had forgotten that the aorist passive does not have the psi here

Second go at it:
9. grafevntwn tw:n ojnomavtwn hJmw:n ejn tw/: biblivw/ th;V zwhvV, oyovmeqa to;n kuvrion.

Stephen
Klaas
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephenR wrote:

Second go at it:
9. grafevntwn tw:n ojnomavtwn hJmw:n ejn tw/: biblivw/ th;V zwhvV, oyovmeqa to;n kuvrion.

Stephen

9 γραφέντων [γεγραμμένων?] τῶν ὀνομάτων ὑμῶν ἐν τῷ βιβλίῳ [τῷ] τῆς ζωῆς ὀψόμεθα τὸν κύριον.

11 οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἀρχόμενοι γί(γ)νεσθαι μαθηταί σου.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    THE AGORA Forum Home -> Machen Exercises All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Email to a Friend.
Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: